Department Of Mass Communication
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
The department was introduced in 2009, but before that, it was called Development communication and later changed to /transformed to mass communication.
However, the focus of the department is to train communication professionals that includes-journalist, Development Communicators, Public Relations experts, and communication specialists. Over the years, the department has trained hundreds of communication specialists and professional journalists in short- and long-term courses. The department can boast of having trained and qualified journalists that are grounded in theory and practice.
The vision of the Department of Mass Communication is to promote excellence in instruction, research, and professional practice by preparing future journalists, professional communicators, and media practitioners.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The mission of the Department of Mass communication at the university of Makeni is to prepare students with high-quality education necessary to succeed as professionals and critical thinkers and to become productive citizens of their communities, the nation and the world.
We cultivate diversity, interdisciplinary learning, creativity, freedom of expression, mutual respect, ethical conduct, social responsibility, and expertise in journalism, and mass communication. Students are encouraged to integrate their knowledge and skills for service to their communities, career advancement, graduate study, and lifelong learning
GOALS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The goals of the department are:
- cultivate in students the practice of acquiring interdisciplinary knowledge and developing analytical and critical skills for acquiring balanced views of world issues;
- develop in students good oral and written communication skills necessary to the journalism profession;
- develop in students at least one area of specialty and preferably the convergence of multiple areas in their chosen field;
- . develop the ability of students to collaborate with specialists in other fields in order to be informative, analytical, and critical in their reporting on issues;
- cultivate in students an understanding of the historical, cultural, legal, ethical, and moral contexts in which they apply their knowledge and skills;
- prepare students for employment and career advancement in local, national, and international media markets;
- engage students in local community activities in order for them to apply their classroom knowledge to public use; encourage students to participate in scholarly work and creative productions; and
- encourage students to explore new channels of communication and collaborative work that transcends departmental and institutional boundaries.
- . maintain strong relationships with alumni, community, business and non-profit sector.
These goals are intended to ensure that students will gain the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills that will enable them to function effectively and successfully in all facets of modern journalism mass communication, and related fields.
THE VALUES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The values of the department include; community engagement, teaching and research. These values are in line with the strategic plans of the university.
In line with the core values of the university, we as a department are also engage in community led campaigns in partnership with private and public organizations and institutions.
We contribute in the development of the media landscape by training would be media professionals in short and long term
We contribute in the development of the human resource of the media landscape
- To prepare students to be able to recognize and analyze problems in their localities.
- To effectively designed media strategies that will provide solutions to these problems.
- Enable students use media to present plan of action that can meet the expectations of their local people.
- To help the students’ study and understand role of Mass Media in a liberal democracy.
- To enable the learner write, deliver and directs media programs for the benefit of their localities.
- To enable learner to be well grounded in the science of communication and possesses the capacity the human, social and technological modes of communication for the benefit of their community.
DEGREE IN MASS COMMUNICATION
- Requirement for Degree programs
- 5 WASSCE / GCE with credit including English Language.
- HTC and 4 WASCE /GCE including English Language
The degree in Mass Communication Program is full time lasting a minimum of 8 semesters.
DIPLOMA IN MASS COMMUNICATION
Aims of the diploma program
- To combine theory and practice of Mass Communication in order to help those working in the media to promote development and to underscore the importance of Mass Communication in the decision making processes of communities.
The entry requirement for applicants of this course 4 WASCE/GCE or HTC.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Print Media
- Development communication
- Public relations and advertising